Wednesday, October 5, 2011

PAC Tour Perry to Metter, GA

Today     119 miles    3,800 feet of climbing            9:45 elapsed time  52 - 88 degrees
So far  2,769          108,600                                9   17:08

The weather today was beautiful, as usual.  Blue skies, cool morning temps rising to seasonable levels in the afternoon.  Warm enough to keep tree shaded roads comfortable.  Road surfaces were all great today, even the ones I rode while I went off course.  (I didn't get "lost" I just explored a different part of Georgia than the rest of the riders).  When I found myself and rerouted my ride so I could join the ride up the road, the lunch crew called to find out what I was up to.  They were happy I was accounted for and would be rejoining the route up ahead.  Luckily I was able to reroute so I tacked on only an extra mile and a half for the day.  Nice rollers to start the day, but lots of traffic.  Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.  Actually we never were.  But we have reached urban civilization where morning people rush to work and have schedules to meet.  Finally about mile 30 we began riding some quieter roads.  The traffic reminded me of home.  Not such a bad thing to put up with.  Overall, I'd have to rate it as "Another day in Paradise."

So today was the penultimate day in the penultimate state.  Tomorrow our tour reaches its conclusion.  Yes, I know the meaning of penultimate.  After Georgia, we will reach the state of rapture.  Rapture is touching the front wheel of the bike in the Atlantic Ocean, is not having to get up and ride a hundred or so miles tomorrow, is celebrating with fellow riders at the conclusion of the ride, and finally rapture is the feeling from having set an incredible task, working to prepare for it, taking it on, and reaching a successful conclusion.  Each of us will treasure the joint and individual accomplishments of the ride.

I don't mean to offend by the use of rapture as the image of denouncement for this event.  But I don't care to apologise either.  Let me rail about political correctness for a moment.  Two phrases popped into my head today during the ride:  "Say what you mean." and, "Mean what you say."  I believe if we did more of those two things and did less worrying about "correctness" we would have a more honest and open society.  End rant.

The riders have caught a bug.  The virus is "Ocean Fever."  They say they can smell the ocean from here.  Tomorrow we will all mass after completing most of the day's ride for a group ride to the ocean.  The stage is set tomorrow is the big event. 
Great porches in Metter
Morning road - with traffic today, no meditating
Forested roadside
Today's defunct gas station
Young John (Downham) one of the fastest riders

Everything's better in Metter


I knew I'd see one eventually
Old town

Doesn't it look inviting?


A long straightaway to end the day

1 comment:

  1. congratulations --- all down hill from there!?!?
    Too bad politician aren't forced to ride across the country and held to what they say! What an unbelievable ride-- let me know when you get back home and are rested -- you are a true cyclist!!!

    ReplyDelete