Thursday, September 22, 2011

PAC Tour Amarillo to Shamrock, TX (12)

Today       93   miles   1,500 feet of climbing          7:19  elapsed time   50 - 94 degrees
So far   1,349             54,500                              4  20:40

Today was a short, flat ride through the panhandle of Texas.  Good, because licking my wounds wore me out.  It seems that, execpt for the helmet, everything was superficial.  Some aches will wear on, but no cause for concern.  Today started under a cloudy sky which turned to a chilly rain an hour later.  As so often happens on long bike rides eventually the rain stops, the clouds lift, the sun comes out and everything dries out.  So it was.  Except for the socks. 

Its hard to believe I've ridden for twelve straight days.  But so has everyone else.  We rode a lot on old route 66 today, which often parallels I 40 as a fontage road.  There are still remnanats from the 50's and 60's, but today I saw abandoned gas stations from three different eras.  One had gas at $1.51, another at $2.86, and of course the original route 66 prices would be in the 10 - 36 cent range, I think.  Here's some scenes from today's ride:






2 comments:

  1. Sorry to here about your fall. You must have went down pretty hard to break your helmet-- glad the Texas guys could help out. You are really doing great to have ridden 1,349 miles in 12 days-- very impressive-- stay healthy and quit falling:)
    ride on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, I recovered quickly. Finished the day and had no riding issue the next two days. Ego is still bruised. I like to think I'm a better rider than that.

    ReplyDelete