Friday, September 30, 2011

PAC Tour Indianaola to Kosciusko, MS (20)

Today    100 miles   2,300 feet of elevation gain      7:28 elapsed time  62 - 90 degrees
So far  2,185          83,800                                   7  17:01

Another great day of cycling, today in Mississippi.  Yesterday after we crossed into Mississippi, I thought my stereotype of Mississippi as poor and empty was fairly accurate.  Today on leaving Indianola we found ourselves on a four lane divided road with a great surface, a tailwind and not a lot of traffic.  In the areas where there were no shoulder, riding on the right of the right-hand lane was comfortable.  We rode most of the 23 miles into Belzoni on this road.  And a great ride it was. 

Leaving Belzoni we were back on rural roads through farm and ranch country.  Lots of cotton being grown on large plots.  We passed a catfish factory (where farmed catfish are processed).  Then we turned a corner at Thorton which is probably the poorest town I've ever seen.  Just a collection of ramshackle shacks, really, no stores, no commerce and no post office.  Bust soon we were in the Hillside Wildlife Preserve.  Pleasant riding.  Oh, suddenly, a hill.  I don't think I'd seen a hill in three days.  But, just a hill.  But that hill turned out to have 10-12% grades and just appeared out of nowhere.  It really was a surprise.  So we climbed it.  The undulations continued for the rest of the day, but nothing had the grade of that one hill.  And after the hill, Mississippi turned picturesque.  I mean picture postcard pretty.  One manicured farm after another.  So toss that stereotype away, as I have done with so many others of this country along our route.  This is America the Beautiful. 

So another great day on the bike.  Just like a couple days ago when Bob Clarke rode up next to me and said, "You look so effortless when you ride.  You're not even breaking a sweat."  Well, I did have a little sweat going, but I am comfortable on the bike.  Its as if I am meditating while riding.  The peace just comes with the activity.  I'm almost beginning to regret the end of the ride.  There will be time for that later.  Its ironic that one can feel the regret of seeing the ending and at the same time wondering if the day after day grind will ever end. 
Yazoo River
Catfish factory
Cotton picker
Roadside view
What a place to ride!
A bucolic pasture
Local resort

Irrigation canal






1 comment:

  1. Looks you're back in our neck of the woods! I'm enjoying reading your posts, Ron.

    -Kathy

    ReplyDelete