Friday, September 16, 2011

PAC Tour Winslow to Springerville, AZ (6)

Today   121 miles   5,200 feet     10:17 elapsed time   52-90 degrees
So far    674          34,600         2 12:56

A great day traveling the wide open spaces of Arizona.  Much of today's ride was through ranching territory.  We also passed by the Petrified Forest.  A pretty flat ride for most of the day until the last 40 miles when we did most of our climbing.  Today's ride was the second longest ride I have ridden this year.  Despite some latent lethargy in my legs and body, I feel pretty good.  We spent some time riding old US 66 today.  The pavement was brutal, but the opportunity to get a shot of the original jackrabbit by the side of the road is priceless.  The "historic 66" culture and theme seem to be fading.  The nostalgia for the good old days when the family packed the wagon and hit the road with the kids has given way to Disney World and theme parks I believe.

Great dinner tonight at a local restaurant.  Eight cyclists at the table and the stories fly.  Polished off a rib-eye and had a blueberry malt for dessert.  This exercise allows copious consumption, and even requires it.  According to my Garmin (cycling computer) I burned 2,900 calories on today's ride.  That's a lot of additional food to fit in a day's consumption. 

A short post today because of an early start tomorrow.  Please enter your comments.  I'll publish them daily when I blog.  (Comments have to be "moderated" before they're published).








2 comments:

  1. 121 miles is a long way and completing it in 10hrs is great and it sounds like you are feeling strong and that is great. The 52 to 90degrees is a big range-do you carry a jacket? This is a big country and it is so diverse-- keep crankin
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill, I always carry a rain jacket. I supplement that in cool temps with arm warmers and leg warmers when its really cold.

    ReplyDelete