Wednesday, September 21, 2011

PAC Tour Clovis, NM to Amarillo (11)

Today      112 miles     1,600 feet      9:28 elapsed time    55-86 degreesSo far    1,256            53,000       4  13:21

Today we entered Texas, our fourth state and third time zone.  Progress, right.  We were hoping for an easy, 111 mile day.  But the winds didn't cooperate.  We had winds into our faces and quartering our left shoulders all day.  At mile 7 we entered Texas.  I was surprised at how modest the sign was.



But I shouldn't have been concerned.  Less than a mile later the real Texas welcome sign appeared:




We were struggling against the wind, forming random pace lines.  I rode with Art for awhile and we took turns leading into the wind.  At about mile 10 a pace line came by: Lon, John Lake, Rose and a couple of other riders.  Art and I gladly hopped onto the end. and started travelling at a reasonable speed.  By the time we reached the rest stop there were four of us left: Lon , John Art and I .  We flew (relatively speaking to the next rest stop.  Some where between the mile 35 rest stop and the mile 55 rest stop I crashed.  Dented and ego bruised, helmet cracked, but no need for stitches or paramedics.  After I gathered myself we rode on.  Another rest stop at mile 55 and I was feeling okay and keeping pace and taking turns on the front.  Between there and lunch I lost contact with the group going up a slight incline and rode solo most of the rest of the day.  The winds did diminish a little and I did find some fun in Texas:




About ten miles from our hotel I started to try to figure out how to replace my helmet.  I saw two riders on the other side of the road (going the other way) and flagged them down .  "Is there a bike shop near here?"  Once I explained my dilemma, they were eager to help.  In fact they had heard PAC Tour was in Amarillo this evening and visited some folks at our hotel.  They offered to ride home, hop in their car and buy me a helmet.  Which they did.  Nice guys, these Texans.  Well I've showered, cleaned my bike, fixed a slow leak in the rear tire, installed the mirror on my helmet and sized it, eaten a huge meal at The Big Texan and blogged.  I think I've earned my rest tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment